Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Quest for the Dress: Take Two

I had promised myself that I wouldn't go wedding dress shopping again until either this fall at the earliest or once I lost at least 10 lbs, whichever came first...after a nightmarish first experience this past Feb...

After spending weeks researching dresses online and in magazines, and late nights watching DVR-ed episodes of "Say Yes To The Dress," I was eager to experience the joy of finding my dress. Although my wedding was still nearly a year and a half away at the time, I had one of my sisters and friend drive up from where they now live in Northern VA, dragged my other 3 younger sisters from their studies at home, and implored my mother to make time in her busy schedule for a full day of dress shopping all over NYC!

My second appointment of the day was at the infamous Kleinfeld's. After trying on a few dresses, I slipped on a Lazaro dress from his trunk show--an A-line, strapless gown adorned with feathers from waist to toe. My family and consultant insisted it was "the one!" I, on the other hand, was unsure, and wanted to think it over. They insisted I purchase it! I still had my doubts, changed into my own clothes, and was ready to move on to the third appointment. My mother urged that I not wait, and buy it already!

And so...I bought it.

I didn't sleep that night. I tossed and turned, hopped out of bed at 6AM, cried hysterically about the dress that I now hated. I called my mom, who, in turn, scolded me for not listening to her, and, instead, wasting her day.

I wasn't able to get a refund, but I did receive full credit in the end.

I didn't think I'd even want to look at another wedding dress again for another many more months...until I stumbled upon photos of Bethanny Frankel of the "Real Housewives of NYC's" stunning wedding at the Four Seasons in NYC and Kenneth Pool dress.



I also discovered that designers have just released their Spring 2011 collection, including my favorite designer, Monique Lhuillier. There's a slew of new dresses, and one of them could be "the one!"

I gathered the courage to book an appointment with Kleinfeld again for Monique Lhuillier's upcoming trunk show on May 14th...despite no weight change. However, I'm going alone, requested a different consultant, and refuse to be rushed into a decision this time. If I don't feel that I've found my dress, I can always go back for a visit next season!

No comments:

Post a Comment